Stade Reims Mercato: Young striker very courted the transfer market, Hugo Ekitike delivered on his future.
Stade de Reims Mercato : Hugo Ekitike opens the door to a departure
The Stade Reims ended the season on a sad note this Saturday. Reims was beaten at home by OGC Nice (2-3). While they had a two-goal lead at half-time, the Reims team was knocked down in the second half by Andy Delort, who scored a hat-trick. Hugo Ekitike, who scored the opening goal for his team, spoke about his future in the columns of team. The 19-year-old center forward opened the door to a departure from Reims. “I consider myself ready for anything. Whether it is to stay here or take up a challenge that everyone agrees. I can imagine the summer being hectic! I think people will show interest in me. For my part, I’ll be calm because I’m surrounded by the right people to manage it,” said the lanky center forward.
A call to Newcastle?
In his release, the striker of Stade Reims returned on the interest of Newcastle United. The Magpies wanted to complete the transfer of Hugo Ekitike this winter. But their offer estimated at 30 million euros had been rejected by the club. The young striker from Reims says he is nevertheless flattered to attract the interest of a “big club” in England, which has gone under the Saudi flag this season. “It was better to stay here, to make a full season, to confirm. These rumors make me smile, because it gratifies my work. I feel like I exist. I know that what I do on the field is good, it is recognized. And not just by anyone. It pushes me to give the best of myself. I always want to progress and be the best,” explained Ekitike, author of 11 goals in 26 games this season.